Saturday, November 24, 2012

Honda's Got Your Back(up Camera)

No question, one of my favorite features in the 2013 Odyssey is the backup camera--which is now standard on all Odysseys.

As Cars.com explained, "Previously, a backup camera was only available on the EX-L, Touring and Touring Elite trims.  For 2013, the Pilot, Accord, Crosstour, CR-Z and Ridgeline also get a standard backup camera."

I have probably mentioned that I have five kids.  And my neighbors all have kids.  In fact, if you include mine, there are 18 kids that live on my cul-de-sac, not including friends, grandkids, etc.  Backing up is one of THE most dangerous maneuvers I do with my car each day.

Before backing out, I walk around my car, turn off my radio and the fan (AC/heat), roll down my front windows and back out really, really slowly.  But backing up with a backup camera is so much safer!  You can see where you're going and what's to the sides of you as well.

Despite my copious backing-up safety rituals, I have, on more than one occasion, pulled into the road only to realize that there was a child, just to the side of my driveway that I hadn't seen.  That has freaked me out every time.  (Shivering)

So I really put the 2013 Odyssey's back up camera to the test when I got to take it for a spin.  After pulling in my driveway, I grabbed a little 12 inch bike that we own and stuck it behind the van and put it in reverse.

I could not see the tiny bike from my rear-view mirror or either of my side mirrors.  In my daily ritual, only during the walk-around could I have even seen it.  But look what happens when you turn on the backup camera.
Regular View

Wide View

Top View

These picture were taken in the early afternoon with light filtering through the trees, making it even more difficult to see.  Even without ideal viewing conditions, I could easily see the bike.  Then, I could walk around and remove it before running over it.  (It's possible that I have *uh-hem* run over a few bikes in my day...)

To be candid, the backup camera is NOT designed to replace the walk-around.  You could still have a child or toy under you vehicle or directly behind the wheels.  But the scares I've had over the years with kids who appeared at the last minute would never have happened.  With the backup camera I would always have seen them.  And as a parent, that's incredibly reassuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment