Monday, June 9, 2014

Learning to Drive the Bitty, Bad, Honda | Blogger Contest 1st Runner Up

Photo Credit: Wikipedia.com

It was a sunny afternoon in late June. I was around 16 and scared to drive. I didn't pass my drivers exam in high school and put off trying again for years. But my determined older brother took me to a local grocery store and decided he was going to teach me to drive whether I liked it or not. At the time he drove an old Honda Civic with over 130,000 miles and a stick shift (eeek!). I was beyond terrified to drive it to say the least.

After buying a few items we headed back out to the car of all cars. Instead of hopping into the driver seat, my brother got into the passenger seat. And looked at me expectantly. I almost immediately broke into tears. I was so scared to get into that Honda and test my skills (or lack thereof). After what felt like a billion years I was coerced into the driver seat. I can still remember the smell of the leather steering wheel as I gripped it with deathlike force.

I took a deep breath, put one foot on the brake and one foot on the clutch while easing that bitty, bad Honda Civic into first gear. I eased my foot off the clutch as I pushed down on the gas and I was off! I stopped for a red light and all bets were off. As the light turned green I slowly moved into the intersection. The Honda stalled. I'm pretty sure I said a few choice words, restarted the trusty Honda and put both feet on the correct pedals. Cars honked and went around me, and a few people even swore at me as they passed by.

I put the Civic in first gear again, and eased my foot off the clutch. And stalled the car again! Then the green light turned yellow and then back to red. All the while I was in the middle of the intersection listening to my brother tell me what to do and trying my hardest not to completely lose it. I slowly lurched a few feet forward during the next two lights. That's right; I was in the middle of the intersection for three entire lights!

Finally, I was able to squeak out of the intersection and go to the side of the road. After I caught my breath, I got out of the car and quickly switched places with my brother. I was DONE driving for the day. Mostly I was just thankful that I wasn't dead and that my brothers sacred Honda Civic was still intact.

The next time I got behind the wheel of that car was a much better memory. I had no issues at all. For whatever reason, the horror of that first lurching drive had given me the battle scars I needed to be able to handle a stick shift for life. And it was all because of a bitty, bad Honda Civic.

*****
Hi! I'm Jacki and I blog at www.mamasonadime.com. I am a mom to three little munchkins and love being involved in my community. I also love all things frugal, but I'm not willing to sacrifice quality in the process. Which means I'm all about getting more for less!


No comments:

Post a Comment