Friday, June 6, 2014

Off-Roading with Sugar


Sugar and I packed up and went on a little camping trip with some friends over Memorial Day weekend. Under normal circumstances, neither Sugar nor I would head off into the wilderness to get a dirt under our nails, but sometimes you just need a good adventure.

As far as I knew, we were going to a nice little town a couple of hours away for what promised to be practically-backyard-camping.

I was a little misled.

By the way, the trunk on my Accord is humongous.  I don't know how I keep forgetting that...but I was pleasantly shocked at how much gear I manged to get in there: a tent, two camp chairs, cooler, sleeping bag, air mattress, the kitchen sink... you get the idea. Who needs an SUV?  (Okay, I wouldn't turn down the new Honda CRV or the feisty, new Crosstour...but I digress.)

So off we went—Sugar, the fella, and I—into the woods to get our camp on. Getting to the site wasn't that bad.  By the time we got there, we were just a little dusty and bug-spattered.  Nothing too terrible.  But the next morning we decided to drive up the canyon to take a few pictures of a lake we'd heard about.  The "end of paved road" sign gave me a mild case of heart failure, but the fella is a good driver, so we pressed on (me trying not to think of how many things could go wrong far, far from cell service).

As we bucked and banged our way past truck after 4-wheel drive truck, I was a little bit proud of how Sugar handled herself.  We got some funny looks, for sure, but we never got stuck!  The fella took his car (*cough* not-a-Honda!) into the hills the very next weekend and complained rather loudly about how much he missed Sugar!  That's right... the guy who once called my girl boring is suddenly a fan!  Still, let's just say I'm glad this month is tire month at the Ken Garff Honda of Orem dealership because we were the only 4-door sedan braving the places we went and I'm pretty sure I'm going to need an alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment