Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Test Driving the Sleek 2013 Honda Accord

I have finally gotten behind the wheel of the brand spankin' new, super sleek, completely amazing 2013 Honda Accord EXL-V6.  I know I'm gushing, but it really is something.  The new Honda Accord is a luxury car, without the luxury pricing.

Ken Garff Honda of Orem has had some trouble keeping the 2013 Accord on their lot.  Just as soon as they get one in--it's sold!  So when I finally saw the car I'd get to drive I was stoked.  It's a beauty!


After being thoroughly walked through all of the bazillion new features, I was on my own.  Looking at the view the backup camera provided,  I pulled out of the parking spot and onto the road.

Back up camera view
The ride is incredibly smooth, the engine--though powerful--is super quiet, and the leather seats felt like they'd been specifically designed with my back in mind. I loved the blind spot camera that comes on whenever your right blinker does.

I drove immediately home to take pictures (and get marshmallows to placate my four-year-old, so I could drive for awhile).  One of my goals on this drive was to test out all of the various new beeping features.  Honda has installed a system--the Forward Collision Warning--that beeps if your front bumper gets to close to something (i.e. you're at risk of a collision).

A few family members and I were musing if this system would drive you crazy and go off all the time.  So I may have revved up to the back of a few cars trying to make the thing go off.  It didn't. See, I wasn't about to put myself, my four-year-old son, and the brand new 2013 Accord in actual risk.  And the Forward Collision Warning system can, apparently, tell the difference.  Since I wasn't in actual danger of collision--no beeping.  It put those fears to rest: you won't have to improve change your driving to enjoy this car.

Leather seats, mmmm.
I did, however, get FCW beep when a car suddenly pulled out in front of me.  It wasn't a particularly close call, but it did require a little aggressive braking on my part.  What was interesting for me, was when the beeping went on, I instinctively began braking harder. Among safety features available, I really like this one.

The next system that I had to try was the Lane Departure Warning.  In this system, when you drift from one lane to another without a turn signal one--the LDW beeps at you.  After turning left onto a wide, empty stretch of State Street, I gave it a go. Drifting to the left, the beeping went off!  I drifted back to the right and more beeping!  With a turn signal on--no beeping.  It worked exactly as advertised.  In all of my swerving up and down various roads in Orem, only once did it not go off.  Honda explains, "LDW only alerts drivers when lane drift is detected without a turn signal in use.  LDW may not detect all lane marking or lane departures; accuracy will vary based on weather, speed and road condition. Driver remains responsible for safely operating vehicle and avoiding collisions."

There are so many things to love about this car.  From the Blue Tooth connection that lets you talk to people without ever looking at your phone, having your text messages read to you in a cool computer voice, having Pandora stop the moment you arrive somewhere and pick up--mid song--exactly where you left off, the amenities are jaw dropping.

As someone who has a serious problem losing her keys, I LOVED the keyless entry and start.  I stood in my driveway locking and unlocking the car.  To lock, you only have to push a button on the door handle.  To unlock--this is the coolest part--you just reach out and grab the handle.  Seriously.  It's like being in a sci-fi movie.  It made me feel kinda of powerful, like, "Hah!  This car obeys my commands."  As long as you never lose your purse, or briefcase, you never have to even get your "keys" out again.

The list of what this car can do and why it is so cool, goes on and on.  In reality, it deserves another post, but I'll wrap up this post with the eco button.  Everyone I know wants to be eco-friendly, right?  I recycle, donate used items to charity and generally like the idea of saving the earth.  But I don't like to do it if I have to sacrifice comfort.  I have ignored, for years now, the plea of our local power company to switch to the euphemistically labeled "energy efficient service" because, in large part, that means that my air conditioning won't come on during the hottest part of the day because everyone else's AC is already on.  "It'll save you money!" they say.  "You won't even notice the 5 degree temperature increase," they insist.

Perhaps I should give it a chance, but I like being cool in my house in the summer and we live in a desert for crying out loud.  So, I was a bit worried about the leaf-looking "Eco" button on the new Accord.   I was informed that it pulls power from the AC to increase gas milage.  Even though I had my misgivings, I gave it a shot anyway.  Initially, my AC lowered in power a bit, so I turned up the fan.  Problem solved. The entire time I drove around I was perfectly cool, in fact my four-year-old eventually said he was cold so I closed the vents in back.

I love the thought that, by pushing a button, I can increase my gas milage from the already impressive 36 MPG Highway rating (27 MPG City) without sacrificing a thing.

 Edmonds.com and I both agree that Honda has restored the old magic to the new Accord.

No comments:

Post a Comment