Tuesday, April 16, 2013

What Happens When Something Goes Wrong...

On April 9th, Honda of Orem customer Daniel Ray Petersen dropped us a note in our Facebook message box.  With his permission, I'm sharing it with you.

This is the review I just posted on Facebook for my friends to see. Thanks guys. My wife and I shopped around A LOT all last year for a new vehicle, but you guys take the cake. Here it is:

Well, I'm not one to share glowing reviews often. Less expected is this one, since it's a car dealership, but I have been impressed. Two weeks ago we bought an '03 Honda Pilot from Ken Garff Honda in Orem. By some chance, neither of us noticed that the car hadn't been through safety and emissions yet. Last week the salesman we dealt with, Mark, called us and told us they had just realized this. Because Ogden is so far from Orem, he made arrangements for us to take the car to the Riverdale dealership, where they would do the tests, no charge to us. They should have been done before they sold us the car, he said, so they would take care of the cost.
The Petersens via Facebook  

I took the car in and it passed emissions but failed the safety inspections. Brakes, steering, engine mounts.... I was not pleased. I called Mark back to let him know what happened. I never guessed his response. Instead of grumbling or telling us we'd have to take care of it ourselves, he said, "Ouch, I'm sorry about that. I'll make arrangements for someone to drive up with a replacement vehicle, and we'll bring yours down here for a day to fix the stuff that's broken."

Did he mention how much it would cost us? Nope. Did he sound like it was inconvenient for him? Nope. The guy actually sounded cheerful about being able to fix it. Today they came and got the car, leaving us with a nice '11 VW Tuareg to drive. We got our car back just this evening, after about 9 hours away from home including drive time. Mark drove up himself both times. After we got the car back, he explained everything that had been done to it. He said it ended up being about $1200 worth of parts. Parts, not parts and labor. It would have been crazy expensive for us if we had to pay for this ourselves.

All in all, I have to say that I am grateful, and very pleasantly surprised. Yes, the dealership should have taken care of this before selling us the car. Any other car they sold, they do make sure it can pass both before they sell it. But the way they handled the situation, with concern for our time, happiness, and money - I've never met a dealership that was so willing to be the nice guy. Even though doing all this is really just the "right think to do" in this situation, I know that lots of other dealerships would never have been so willing. Some would have just called and said, "Hey, you need to take and get this done before we can submit the registration paperwork." and then shoved the whole cost on us. Some might have done the repairs but charged for the parts or the labor. And maybe some would have done the work and paid for it too, but grumbled every step of the way. Not these guys. Never once (and I asked several times to be sure) did they ask for anything out of my pocket, and every single time I brought up the subject they cheerfully stated very clearly that we would not have to cover a bit of it.

So, to you guys out at Ken Garff Honda in Orem: 5 stars. Bright, shiny ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment