Friday, May 31, 2013

Maintenance Minder

One of my favorite pieces of Honda Technology is the Maintenance Minder.  Know why?  I don't ever, EVER have to think about things like an oil change, belts, etc.  When the time is right, a cute little wrench pops up on my dash along with some codes that I'm not even compelled to understand.  (Though I can read up about all of them in my owner's manual if I want to.)

Instead, I head to Honda of Orem's Service Department and hit the express service where they have me all tuned up really quickly.

Things to note:

  • Most Hondas DO NOT need an oil change at 3000 miles. 5000 miles is much more standard.  The maintenance minder tracks when you need service based on how you drive and the wear and tear on your vehicle.  
  • The maintenance minder factors in up-coming service needs to minimize trips
  • The maintenance minder takes care of "right timing." 
I recently had a friend who posted that a non-Honda service department had recommended replacing her water pump and timing belt.  Problem?  She'd only driven 50,000 miles.  Most vehicles today go 90,000 before those things need to be replaced.  There are many other car scams that mostly involve recommending service much earlier than it needs to be done.

A recent Reader's Digest article cited mechanics who had recommended fuel-injector cleanings (not needed until 100,000 miles), auto-transmission flush (don't do until you're post 60,000 miles) and gas saving devices (none work).  

But with your Honda, you don't have to worry.  You have your maintenance minder.  And if it doesn't say to change it, clean it or tune it up, then don't!  


No comments:

Post a Comment